Topic: Converting Website Visitors into Customers
Podcast Episode #81 of the internet show about small business marketing
Your website exists to create customers. But how? Website visitors must be converted from visitor to customer. That’s where things get tricky, or should we say that’s where science comes in; conversion science.
In this episode of Power to the Small Business, Brian Massey, the Conversion Scientist joins host Jay Ehret to discuss how you use your website to get more leads and customers. He will describe the five primary website patterns and prescribe a conversion strategy for each.
– SHOW NOTES AND LINKS –
What is Website Conversion?
Find someone who is not a customer and convert them into a customer. On a website, it’s taking a visitor and converting them into either a lead or sale.
Five Website Patterns and Their Conversion Strategy:
I. The Brochure Pattern
Purpose is to provide enough information to whet the desire of a prospective customer and tell them how to get more information.
- Design – Fits the personality of your business and your customers
- Logical, Tree –like navigation
- Contact info must be easy to find.
II. The Portal Pattern
Overall, the primary goals of a portal are to get people to stick around, to view more pages, and to join or subscribe.
Home page – Crucial to Conversion
- Feature specific content
- Highlight company and products, but don’t say too much about the company
- Site Search
- Drill-down navigation, nested menus, links to related content
- Highlight specific content
- Author pages
- Know your abandonment rate.
- Eliminate friction and make it easy for people to sign up
III. The E-Commerce Pattern
- Home page has specific offers
- Keep non-selling information at a minimum
- Have search on the pages
- Show the product
- All the info necessary to say “yes”
- Flexibility and optimization
IV. The Considered Purchase Pattern
Strategy: Start a conversation by email
V. The Site-as-a-Service (Saas) Pattern
- Sample the product
- Use a Google style pattern to convert triers to buyers
Selected Advertising Quotes from Brian Massey:
On the importance of content in website conversion:
“He who has the best content has the best conversion rates.”
On website conversion strategy:
“We can’t really see conversion as a button color, or a landing page, or a specific event. It really is about picking the right strategy that gives you opportunities to convert visitors.”
On website conversion tactics:
“This is the key with conversion: your audience is going to surprise the hell out of you.”
Get updates on: The Marketing Spot Group Coaching